To revive the millets, a flagship programme called "Special Programme for Promotion of Millets in Tribal Areas" has been launched by Department of Agriculture & Farmers Empowerment, Odisha. Programme intends to revive millets in rainfed farming systems and household consumption.
Major objectives of the programme are:-
- Inclusion of Millets in State Nutrition programmes such as ICDS, MDM, ITDA Welfare Hostels and eventually in PDS.
- Increasing Household consumption by setting up decentralized processing units at panchayat and block level.
- Improving productivity through improved agronomic practices and organic inputs.
- Increased availability of millet seeds through community managed/community owned seed centres with focus on local varieties.
- Strengthening of Farmer Co operatives / Farmer Producers Organisations for better marketing of millets.
The programme may expand in future to other districts. The programme design is conceived considering their geographical, agro-ecological and cultural realities.